Recruitment of City Volunteers for Tokyo 2020
Thank you for your application.
We will send out interview and information session notifications to candidates in January, 2019.
What are City Volunteers?
As "the face" of the host city, City Volunteers recruited by the TMG will warmly welcome those affiliated with the Games, such as athletes, as well as visitors and tourists from Japan and abroad, with the spirit of omotenashi, or Japanese hospitality. As full-fledged participants contributing to the Games, City Volunteers are expected to take on the important role of complementing the Games and building excitement by creating a bright and friendly atmosphere as they provide assistance.
* City Volunteers are different from "Games Volunteers," who will be recruited by the Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games to carry out duties such as directing and guiding visitors, manning reception counters, and supporting event operations at Games-related facilities, including competition venues.
Total number of City Volunteers
- Number of new volunteers to be recruited: About 20,000
- The total number of City Volunteers includes about 10,000 people, who already have volunteer experience in Tokyo, including Tokyo Tourism Volunteers and Rugby World Cup 2019™ volunteers, and hope to also apply that experience at the Tokyo 2020 Games. In addition, we hope to actively recruit candidates who participate in activities such as volunteering in their communities. Therefore, we will study methods such as developing a system to incorporate recommendations of individuals or groups submitted by Tokyo municipalities into the recruitment process prior to the start of the recruitment period.
Volunteers will designate at least five days to serve during the following periods spanning the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
The Olympic Games: Saturday, July 18 - Wednesday, August 12, 2020
The Paralympic Games: Friday, August 21 - Wednesday, September 9, 2020
- * The days designated to volunteer do not need to be consecutive. Volunteers can participate by designating their usual days off, such as weekends.
- * As long as the volunteering schedules do not conflict, one can apply for and participate as both a Games Volunteer and City Volunteer.
Around five hours per day
- * Volunteer shifts are expected to be 5 hours a day. However, 30-minute meetings are also planned to be held before and after shifts.
- * Break times, including time for meal breaks, will be set as appropriate for each shift.
Location of activity
Details about locations of volunteer activities here.
What to consider when applying
Applicants must meet the following three criteria to apply:
- Born on or before April 1, 2002
- Japanese national or person with permission to reside in Japan
- Able to hold a simple conversation (able to communicate) in Japanese
From 1 p.m. JST on Wednesday September 26 to 5 p.m. JST on Friday December 21, 2018.
Apply as an individual or a group
Both individuals and groups can apply.
Up to four individuals can apply together as a group. Although the decision regarding selection will be made based on the group as a whole, application screening and interviews will be carried out separately for each group member. Volunteer tasks will be assigned as a group. The group leader will be asked to submit shift requests on behalf of the group to the Volunteer Office.
- ･ For more details, please see Guidelines for Recruiting City Volunteers for the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 (PDF:125KB).
Points to note:
If an applicant applies by mail or fax, the notifications of interview and information session will be sent out by mail. It will take time to receive it. It is strongly recommended to apply online if the applicant has internet access.
Candidates selected to undergo standardized training will need to be able to take e-learning courses and contact the office using electronic resources such as a PC, tablet or smartphone. Therefore, it will be necessary for such candidates to prepare an environment that enables them to connect to the internet prior to undergoing standardized training.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Tokyo 2020 Games City Volunteer Recruitment Office.
(Weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
Methods of applying
Closed Recruitment of Volunteers
Thank you for your application.